July 2, 2012
Mosiah 23
In this chapter the people want Alma to be their king. He reminds them of the wickedness of King Noah and how they had to flee from him to be able to be free and have the opportunity to become righteous and hear the truth. He teaches them that if there was a just man who would be a fair king and not esteem himself above the others then it would be good to have a king, but since not all men would be just they should only have the Lord to be their king.
Verse 14
Alma tells the people that they should trust no man to be their teacher or minster unless he walks in the ways of the Lord and keeps the commandments and teaches them to do the same. I think this is good advice. I think too often we get tricked by the cunningness of man and follow the wrong people maybe because of their fame or riches. I need to make sure that the people i look to for leadership and education are just people who want to follow the Lord's commandments.
Verse 18
The teachers and priests that Alma consecrated nourished the people in things of righteousness. I like that word NOURISHED. It portrays an idea of food, a necessity in our lives. Just as important for our physical body is food, the gospel and its teachings are vital for our spirits. We need to make sure that we are nourishing ourselves daily in the things of the gospel. That is something I need to work on. I think that it would be easier for me to avoid temptation if I am studying my scriptures more often and saying my prayers more regularly and with real intent.
Verse 21
This verse teaches us that sometimes the Lord will chasten us and try our faith and patience. He does this because he loves us and wants us to be come who we need to be. I think i need to realize this more when I am going through a hard time or trial. The Lord allows this to happen so that I can be molded into a person who is more worthy to enter his kingdom. I want to become more like my Father in Heaven and in order to do that I need to have experiences that will build me up.
Verse 22
Whosoever putteth his trust in him the same shall be lifted up at the last day. I want to put my trust in the Lord. He is the source of truth and happiness and it is he who can lift me up from the burdens of this life.
Verse 27-28
When the people become fearful because of the Lamanites around their city, Alma reminds them that if they trust in the Lord and look to him they have no need to fear. So they stop being fearful and they cry unto the Lord. They know that he will deliver them from the hands of their enemies because they are striving to do the things that he desires of them. I am too fearful at times and do not put my trust in the Lord as I should. I can learn a lot from the people of Alma. They were full of faith and willing to do that which the Lord would ask of them so that they would be free and happy.
The Lord promises to deliver us from bondage. Sometimes it happens right away and sometimes it takes awhile. But He will help us to have the strength we need to overcome our captures.
No comments:
Post a Comment