Day 2: May 25, 2011
1 Nephi Chapter 1 Verse 2
Nephi writes in the language of his father, which is after the learning of jews and language of the Egyptians. This shows me that Nephi is a learned individual. I am at a time in my life where I am gaining a great education. I have the opportunity and blessing to be a student at Brigham Young University. It is an institution where I can learn the things I need to further myself toward my career goals, but it also gives me the opportunity to learn things that will be of great benefit in my spiritual development. We are taught that our knowledge will be the only thing that we can take with us when we leave this life. What a great responsibility for us to gain as much education and knowledge as we possibly can, both secularly and spiritually.
Verse 3
Nephi testifies that the record that he is making is true. He isn’t making any of it up and he knows it is true because he is writing it with his own hands and according to his own knowledge. This record that I am making is also written by my own hands, well typed really, but it is according to my knowledge. I know the Book of Mormon is a true record and I know that I can apply it to my life and my situations in life. Thus I know that what I am writing is a true record.
Verse 4
Here Nephi talks about many prophets prophesying that the people in Jerusalem better repent or it will be destroyed. While I have not been told by the prophets that the land will be destroyed where I am currently at if we don’t repent, I know that we are called to repentance by the prophet and apostles. What a great blessing it is to have Prophets and Apostles living on the earth today. I am so grateful for the words that they speak and I know that what they say come directly from Heavenly Father. As I listen to their words in general conference every 6 months we are taught of the things we need to be doing so that we can be found clean at the last day. They teach of the importance of repenting and preparing for the second coming. I see this as a parallel to those prophets of Nephi’s time.
Verse 5
Here Nephi tells us that his father Lehi prayed unto the Lord for the people. He shows great charity and love for his fellow men. This week as I am studying Preach My Gospel, the Christ like attribute I am studying is charity and love. This is something that I am striving to develop in my own life. I want to stop being so focused on myself and my own problems and reach out to those who need a friend or other things in their life. Lehi loves his people. He doesn’t pray for his own behave, but is unselfish and reaches out to those in need. I want to be more like this.
Verses 6-10
Here Nephi describes his father Lehi being overcome by the spirit and the vision that he is caught up in. I didn’t see any direct parallels here to my life. Anyone else have ideas? I think it shows that the spirit can teach and show us all things. I guess that’s something that can impact my life, learning to listen to the spirit as it teaches me.
No comments:
Post a Comment