Day 6: May 29, 2011
1 Nephi Chapter 2
Verse 16
Nephi describes himself in this verse. He states that he is young. I am only 26 so I think I can still be considered young, just like Nephi. He talks about his great desire to know the mysteries of God. He has listened to all that his father Lehi has taught him and he now wants to know for himself. I, like Nephi, was taught of the goodness of God. At a young age I knew that I was a child of God and that he had a plan for me, because I was taught by my parents. There came a point, however, when I needed to come to know for myself if the things that my parents had taught me were true. So just as Nephi did in this verse, “I did cry unto the Lord…” Now Nephi was visited by the Lord as an answer to prayer. I didn’t have quite the same answer. My answers came in a number of settings and in very quiet ways. I remember when I found out for myself the Joseph Smith was a true prophet and that he did see Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I was probably about 10 or 11. We had the missionaries in our home and they asked if they could teach us the first lesson as if we were investigators. So they taught us of Joseph Smith and of the Restoration of the Gospel. I remember feeling the spirit during that meeting. At the end they asked us to join them kneeling in prayer. Each of us to a turn to pray to our Father in Heaven to ask if the things that the missionaries had taught us were true. I remember having an overwhelming feeling come over me as I prayed. I knew that the things which I had been taught all my life were true. It was a neat experience. As I grew, I wondered if I had ever really gained a testimony of the Book of Mormon. I never doubted that it was true, but I never specifically asked either. So I knelt in prayer and asked heavenly father if the book of Mormon was true. I didn’t feel any different. At first I was frustrated, thinking that the Lord hadn’t answered me. But the more I thought about it the more I realized that I already knew that it was true and that is why I didn’t feel different. I knew that the scriptures were the word of God.
Verse 17
After Nephi prays to know the mysteries of God and has a visitation, he goes to his brother Sam and tells him all that he has heard and seen. What a good example of missionary work. I have been blessed with knowledge of the truth. I need to be more active in sharing with those around me my testimony.
Verse 18
Next Nephi states that Laman and Lemuel do not listen to what he has to teach them. Nephi is sad that they will not accept the gospel and he cries unto the Lord for them. I need to be more concerned with the welfare of my fellow men. I can do this by praying for more opportunities to serve other and to have the Lord put me in the path of someone who is in need. And then I need to heed those promptings that I receive and trust him as I serve others.
No comments:
Post a Comment