Day 3: May 26, 2011
1 Nephi Chapter 1
Verse 11
In this verse Lehi is given a book and bade that he should read it. As I have read this passage I always think of the Book of Mormon and the other scriptures. I am given the words of the Prophets and I am commanded to read and ponder them. Last night I was talking to some of the girls in my apt complex and we were talking about how we would be devastated if we lost a set of our scriptures. Mainly we were talking about our mission scriptures but the more I thought about it I realized that each set of scriptures were used at a different stage of my life. As I studied and read them I marked passages that had different meanings for me then than they would now. I am grateful that each time I read the Book of Mormon I can learn something new or have old learnings become new again.
Verse 12
As Lehi read the book he was given he was filled with the spirit. I notice a big difference in the course of my day when I read the scriptures verses if I forget to read. I have more clarity of mind and I am usually in a more positive attitude when I have partaken of scripture study. By reading and searching the scriptures I can be filled with the spirit just as Lehi.
Verses 14-15
By reading the words of the Lord, Lehi sees His great goodness and praises him. I love that image of Lehi praising the Lord. How does one praise the Lord? One of my favorite movies is called Facing the Giants. I love this movie not for its great acting, because it’s lacking there, but because of two things. First it’s about football. You can’t get a much better topic than that! But also because it has a great message to it. The football team isn’t doing very good. They have a pretty sad record and there is word of the school uprising against the coach and firing him. As the coach is studying his scriptures one day, trying to decide what he should do in this hard time, he reads something that really hits him. Now I am not sure the reference or what it said exactly but I had to do with praising God and rejoicing in him, even when things are hard or don’t turn out exactly as we would want them to. He places this idea into his players and they become a better team physically, because they are trusting in God, but also in their relationships on and off the field. They praise the Lord in the way that they live their life. They mend bridges between loved ones. They trust each other as a team. I can praise the Lord in the way that I live my life. Sometimes I have hard times and it is hard to see any good, but it is there. I need to recognize this more in my life and rejoice and praise my Heavenly Father for his ever present hand in my life! What a great blessing that is!
Verse 18
After Lehi receives the vision and knowledge from Heavenly Father, he goes forth prophesying. Now, I am not a prophet. That is not my calling in life. I am however a member of the true Church of Jesus Christ. With that comes the responsibility to go forth and share with others the things that I have learned and know are true. I can do this by my example as I apply the teachings in my life and also by speaking and sharing with others about who I am and what I believe. Being at BYU I don’t really know any nonmembers that I can go do missionary work with, but there are friends who may be struggling with things in their life that might benefit from hearing about what I am learning and how I am coming to know the mysteries of my Heavenly Father. I can share these things with them. This is an area that needs great improvement in my life. But I know that I will be blessed and gain greater knowledge and experiences if I choose to follow Lehi and go forth.
Verses 19-20
Lehi is mocked and threatened as he goes forth prophesying to the people. I am probably never going to have things thrown at me or have my life threatened because of my beliefs or because I shared them with others, but I may face persecution in my own life. But I know that if that is my lot to bare, the lord will bless me and be there to uplift me. Nephi states that “the tender mercies of the Lprd are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance” (1 Nephi 1:20). The Lord places these tender mercies in our lives to help us overcome hard situations and to be a guide and comfort to us. I have been blessed with these tender mercies in my life. I desire to continue to qualify myself to receive the tender mercies of the Lord. To do that I need to be one chosen of the Lord. I need to follow his example and keep his commandment. I need to go for doing what I know to be right, in faith and hope, knowing that he is there to help me when I need him. What a wonderful blessing.
No comments:
Post a Comment