Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 1: May 24, 2011

1 Nephi Chapter 1 Verse 1

In verse one Nephi introduces himself. He starts by saying that he was born of goodly parents. I have heard this to mean that Nephi’s parents were well off monetarily, but I also think that it means he had good parents who taught him the gospel of Jesus Christ. This is very much like the circumstances in which I was born into. I have been blessed with the best parents. My mom and dad are such great examples to me of how I should live my life. They chose to be sealed in the temple and start an eternal family. They raise me and my siblings with the desire to go to church and to learn about the Savior and his gospel. Dad has always used his priesthood worthily and honored it. I have been blest numberless times by his priesthood through father’s blessings as well as blessing in times of sickness. My mom has always been a wonderful example of how to be a wife and mother. She and dad work together to accomplish things. I am so grateful for their examples and for their testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I truly have been born of goodly parents.

Continuing with verse 1 Nephi talks about seeing many afflictions in his days. I too have seen much affliction. I live in a day in which there is much pain and suffering around the world. There are wars and fighting. There are many natural disasters that ruin homes and countries. I see the pain of children who are abused and treated so badly. I also haves seen how spouses treat their wife or husband with coldness and harsh words. Some of this affliction has been seen from the outside. But I have seen affliction in my own life, and have felt of that pain and affliction. One affliction that I have had to personally deal with is that of getting divorced. I was married to a man in the temple and wanted to have a family with him. As time went on he became verbally and emotionally abusive to me. He would not work but would spend our money on frivorless things and then lie to me about it. Any time I would bring it up he would get so angry with me and tell me to get out of his face or that I was a nag. It hurt me so badly. I have a very hard time with contention and having people mad at me, so I would often times give in and take the blame for things and allow him to treat me this way. As time went on I realized that I was in a bad situation and with much prayer I decided I needed to leave the situation. But it has caused me much affliction in my life.

Right after Nephi talks about the affliction that he has seen he mentioned that he was favored of the Lord. I know that I am a choice daughter of God as well. I have been taught that those born in these days were saved for this time because we were the most faithful in the pre mortal life. I was saved to come in a time where the gospel of Jesus Christ was restored to the earth in its fullness. What a great blessing. I know Heavenly Father loves me and that he desires for me to be happy and to return to his presence. I am grateful for this knowledge.

Nephi talks about knowing the goodness of God and of His mysteries. I am learning more about my Heavenly Father and his plan for me now. I know that he is a loving Heavenly Father and that he has a plan for me. I know that he knows the beginning from the end. Now I may not understand fully his plan or why things happen the way that they do but I do know that I can trust him. I can learn of his mysteries as I study the scriptures and draw nearer to him in prayer and in obedience to his commandments.

Last in verse one, Nephi states that he will make a record of his proceedings. I guess this is what I am doing here by writing about what I learn and what I can apply from the Book of Mormon. Even if this is only for my own benefit I feel like this is an important thing for me to do. In time, when I may struggle, I can look back at what I wrote and remember the things that I found in the Book of Mormon that are relative to me. I can remember my story that is in the Book of Mormon. And maybe someday my children will read these words and have a desire to read the Book of Mormon more and develop a better relationship with Heavenly Father and find their story in the Book of Mormon.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Laurie,
    I think you are amazing, and I loved reading this blog entry (and the one before - Bishop Hill is fantastic!) Anyways, I just love you. I think you've inspired me to do something here :) Thanks girl! You're great!
    Love, Vanessa :)

    ReplyDelete