Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Mosiah Chapter 2

Day 115: February 14, 2012

Mosiah 2

Verse 6

I love this verse that tells us that the people of King Benjamin set up their tents around the temple with the door pointing towards the temple. They knew where the focus should be. I am striving to keep myself in line so that my life is pointed towards the temple. I love the temple. I love the feelings and inspiration I receive when I am in those holy edifices. I am so grateful for the covenants I have made by entering those sacred doors. It is in the temple that a family can be made an eternal family. It is where the links of our family history are sealed together. I want to be always worthy to go to the temple and live my life as though my tent is pointed towards the temple.

Verse 9

King Benjamin told the people that they should not TRIFLE with the words that he will tell them. I looked up trifle so that I could have a better understanding of what is being taught here. Trifle means to without seriousness or respect. It a thing of little value or importance. I think that I sometimes am guilty with trifling with the words that the prophets may speak. I don’t do it intentionally but I do not always hearken as taught by King Benjamin here. I should listen to the words that they speak and then heed those words. I do not want to be accused of trifling with things that should be treated with much seriousness and respect. Benjamin tells them to not only listen with their ears, but to listen with their hearts as well. He promises that if they do the mysteries of God will be unfolded to them. I want to be able to understand the mysteries of God. At least I want to be able to understand the thigns that pertain to me right now and how I can improve myself and return to live with him again.

Verse 10-16

King Benjamin is a perfect example of a humble, righteous leader. He didn’t become greedy and desire gold and precious things. He didn’t force the people to labor for his behalf. He didn’t put them in dungeons or turn them in to his slaves. And he didn’t just sit there and watch them do all of the work. He went out and labored among them. He served them and taught them the gospel of Jesus Christ through his words and his actions. He lead as the Savior would lead. At work yesterday I was asked to give the thought at our weekly meeting and they asked me to base it off of the leadership pattern. IN the very center of this pattern it says to lead as the Savior. I just talked about how the Savior lead by example. How he served the people and wasn’t above any menial task. This is just how King Benjamin led his people.

Verse 17

This of course is a very famous verse. We are taught that when we are serving our fellow men, we are really only serving God. I wish that I took more opportunities to serve others. I know that if I would forget myself more and serve others I would feel better about myself and my problems wouldn’t seem as big as they sometimes seem. I am striving little by little to look for opportunities to serve whether it be saying hi to someone who isn’t having a great day, or giving a ride to some who needs a ride or whatever it is. They usually aren’t very big, but it is what I am able to do at this time and I feel like I am doing well. The reverse is also true about this statement. If you are not serving your fellow men then you are not serving God either.

Verse 22

All that we are asked is to keep his commandments. If we keep his commandments we will be greatly blessed and receive a promised land. This means to me a celestial land, a celestial kingdom.

Verse 36

King Benjamin tells his people that after they have learned the gospel and the things he is teaching them and then choose to disregard them, they are withdrawing themselves from the spirit. I am promised that I will always have the spirit with me. If I do not keep the commandments the spirit doesn’t leave me. I leave the spirit. I am the one that cause a separation from the Godhead. I think that is a good way to think of it, because it puts the responsibility on me and not on the spirit being the one to withdraw. I do not want to withdraw from the spirit.

Verse 41:

Benjamin tells his people to look and think about the happy state of those who are faithful and keep the commandments and are faithful to their covenants. He promises that they are the ones who will dwell with God in a never-ending happiness. I want a never-ending happiness. I want to live with my Father in Heaven again. I know that I can if I do all that I can to follow the prophet and keep the commandments and then trust in the Savior’s atonement by repenting and using the atonement daily in my life. That is the only way that I can have a never-ending happiness in the presence of Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment