Day 110: February 9, 2012
Enos
Verse 2:
Enos says that he WRESTLED with the Lord for a remission of his sins. The way that he words it would indicate that repentance isn’t just a simple thing. It is a “process” of receiving forgiveness by our Heavenly Father because of the atonement of Jesus Christ. Now we never learn what Enos’s sins are. It doesn’t say that he is a wicked priest for a wicked king like Alma. It doesn’t say that he is going around trying to destroy the church like Alma the younger. It doesn’t say if he falls to the follies of youth like we know Joseph Smith talks about. Whatever it was that he needed repentance for, we worked for it. He didn’t just say sorry Heavenly Father and move on. He really put in an effort. Repentance is such a blessing that we are allowed because of the atonement of Jesus Christ. Because He loves us so much he atoned for our sins so that we can be forgiven for them, but we still have to work at repenting. I think I am guilty of sometimes thinking I can just say I am sorry and then continue on. I am learning a little bit every day of how important it is that we truly follow the path of repentance so that we can hear the voice of the Lord in some form, as Enos does, saying that we are forgiven of our sins.
Verse 4:
I love the words that Enos uses to describe his prayer to Heavenly Father. First it says that his soul HUNGERED. He wanted so much to be righteous and to receive that remission of his sins and to receive personal revelation. He CRIED to Heavenly Father in MIGHTY prayer. He didn’t just kneel down and spout out a rout prayer. ALL THE DAY LONG he CRIED. It wasn’t a thirty second, just so I can say I prayed prayer. He RAISED HIS VOICE to Heavenly Father. He prayed out loud and poured out his heart to the Lord. I can learn a lot from this verse alone in Enos. He truly knew the importance of prayer and he pleaded with the Lord and truly conversed with him. He waited for the Lord to respond. Great example.
Verse 7-8
Enos wants to know how it is that he can be forgiven of his sins. The Lord tells him it is because of his faith in the Savior Jesus Christ, who hadn’t even come to the earth yet.
Verse 9
Not only did he pray for his own soul, but after he had learned that he had been forgiven, he then began to pray for his brothers the Nephites. He POURED his soul out to Heavenly Father on their behalf. My prayers are often all about ME and MY needs. I need to think about others more when I am praying.
Verse 11
This amazes me. After he had been told that his people would be blessed according to their diligence in keeping the commandments, Enos then prays for the souls of his ENEMIES, the Lamanites. The Lamanites hated the Nephites. At this point they are a blood thirsty group who kill Nephites whenever they have a chance. Yet Enos prays for them. When was the last time I prayed for someone who had said a mean word to me let alone tried to kill me and my family. Enos is full of charity.
Verse 12
The Lord promises that because of his RIGHTEOUS FAITH, Enos’s desires would be granted. When we ask for righteous things that are within the will of the Lord we will be given them.
Verse 13
In a way, Enos is now praying for our times. He asks that if the Nephites should fall into transgression, which we already know they do, that the Lord would preserve the sacred records that the prophets are keeping so that it can be delivered up. Because of his desire and other’s desire, we have those sacred records. We have the Book of Mormon to guide us each and every day.
Verse 19:
After his supplication with the Lord, Enos gets up and goes to work teaching and spreading the gospel. He doesn’t go right back to what he was doing before. He knows that he has a responsibility to share that message that he had learned and received for himself. I need to look for more opportunities to share the gospel with others. I am in a tough spot because I do not really associate with anyone that is not already a member of the Church, but I can take more chances to bear testimony to them and I can use other resources (Facebook, my blog) to share the gospel with my friends who are not members of the Church.
At the end of his record, Enos sees much wickedness between his people and the Lamanites, lots of wars and fighting. How discouraging would that be? Yet he never doubted his faith and the things he learned and knew. He continued all his days striving to share the gospel and prophecy to his people. He endured to the end strongly and faithfully despite those around him.
No comments:
Post a Comment